Monday, April 4, 2011

Ayla's hair


I have been stubbornly refusing to cut Ayla's hair. I am doing all I can to prevent cutting bangs, because let's face it, they'd be half her head. I have put together some pictures that show the many hairstyles we have tried to keep her hair out of her eyes.

Let's start at the beginning, since she was born with a full head of hair.




It did take a little while to grow so that I had to think about it.



But grow it did and has



I didn't really notice until we visited my parents and my mother had fun ribbing me about the hair in eyes, it was about as long as it is in the above picture. Trying to find hair clips for a baby that actually are designed to hold hair is pretty much mission impossible and since she was so young you aren't supposed to put the hair in a ponytail. But we did managed to find some at Wally World on one of our trips out and the adventure began for me to try and find ways to hold it up that stayed.




Of course the "pebbles" hair do was one of the first and I still do it occasionally because it's quick and easy. The problem is that it doesn't stay to well when up against a baby.




The flower barrettes are some of the ones we found when I was in Virginia. Of course we are slowly but surely losing them and I cannot find them again. This one usually will stay in all day since it is essentially the same as the pebbles one with an extra clip to hold it all down.



I do tend to find something and stick with it. This one is hard because, as I said earlier, we have lost some and only have two pairs remaining.



Ok, I think you get the point.


This is where me being a groomer came into play. This one I keep calling a top knot, since that is what it would be at work. It tends to stay in better than just the regular pebbles one probably because I twist it on itself and clip the ends in. Getting Ayla to sit still long enough for me to do these however is another thing.

The problem with finding clips is that most that you find for little girls don't lock into place. They are covered in cloth and only hold it. The barrettes I have found are few and far between, until I discovered which section to check at Meijer.



The crown ones just fit sometimes. She looks really amused, doesn't she?



Of course sometimes it's just easier and faster to sweep part of it up. Again the big problem with this one is it doesn't stay in. She can have it out in less than 3 minutes if she wants.



Outside of this being a really adorable picture of the two of them, I have found a winner. This one stays in through naps and most of the day. I actually got the idea from talking with my mother about a family friends' daughter who is in the same position I am, except her little girl is roughly 9 months to a year older than Ayla, who does not want to cut bangs. Being that her little girl is older she can use ponytails and puts her hair up in pigtails a lot. So that gave me an idea....



As close as I can get to pigtails. The little barrettes are easier to find and I now have enough to last me a while, even with the tendency to lose them.


Now a few more pictures of this haircut and the adorable baby that they're on.



Love this outfit and I had barrettes to match!


This was about 830 this morning and it's still in, a little droopy on one side since she has a natural part that kinda prevents you from getting even amounts of hair but I'll take it.

If anyone with experience knows of any possibles that I haven't hit on yet (Beth, De I'm lookin at you) let me know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had never heard the thing about not putting ponytail holders in their hair. Aubrey lived in them. I love the two little pig tails on the top of the head look. My problem was nothing would stay in Bree's hair with out hair product help (usually some of jeremys gel) right where the clip/holder landed. With the baby fine hair there isnt a whole lot you can do it comes out of everything but i like the look you came up with.

Fairierose said...

I may have to add to this one later. I tried to find the article but couldn't. I did find not to use them to tight, so I'm wondering if I forgot that word. I'm thinking of stopping by a local place that specializes in kids haircuts and asking their advice.