Saturday, August 25, 2012

My little summer journey

To start this story I have to go back to April/May.  At that point in time I had read about a different way to do eye shadow that I had never heard of, so of course I looked into it.  During my looking I found this website and it really got my attention.  That led to one of the basic problems that many of us face especially when we find something new that catches our eye, how in the hell am I going to pay for all this?  My answer was kinda simple really, quit smoking. 

However nothing is as simple as it seems most of the time.  I set everything up, got the patch and was ready to go.  I went 3-4 days with no problems, just the odd thought about going outside (since I've only smoked outside for years).  The Saturday after I quit was a whole different thing all together.  I started crying and couldn't stop and after a few days admitted I needed help.  I got into the doctor really quick and was put on Welbutrin and recommended a head doctor type.  The diagnoses on the insurance paperwork is Major Affective Depressive Disorder, single episode, moderate severity.  In other words I got thrown for a loop NO ONE saw coming.  Started smoking again and trying to deal with this issue now.  

After spending the summer seeing a counselor and trying to change things so I would have a different result, I decided to try again.  I can't very well step back in seeing her if I haven't quit so it was coming up on either quit or stop talking about it.  

I had my last cigarette Thursday the 16th at around 730 in the morning.  It would've been 10 or 11 Wednesday but Nick forgot to take them to work and I couldn't resist.  The rest however were flushed.  So at this point I have not had a smoke in 9 days.  

On Tuesday of this week, the 21st, I took the patch off for the last time.  I have been without any nicotine whatsoever for 4 days.  

So I think I can honestly declare I am a non smoker.  

I do recommend that for anyone considering quitting read a book by Allen Carr called the "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" I got a kindle version for less than $6.  It puts things in a different light than most of the sites you'll find out there.  

The plan now is to start tapering off my appointments, lets face it it can get expensive, and finish my cat grooming certification in October.  I've passed 2 of 4 written tests and have the practicals.  

Oh, and I have already rewarded myself.  Since this whole mess was started by make up, I got the Urban Decay Smoked palette.  Probably the only time I'll spend that much on eye shadow. :-)




No comments: