Monday, June 15, 2015

Adventures in the kitchen

This story actually begins last fall when the cucumbers were full and ripe and everyone was trying to get rid of all the extras.  Nick walks in with a bag full of cucumbers and Ben asks what are we going to do with all of them.  Being the every helpful Daddy he is, Nick started giving a list of things that could be made from cucumbers.  Of course pickles were on that list. 

So I've learned how to make pickles.  I found a recipe and how to online and two weeks later we had pickles, with quite a bit of pucker power.  For a spring break visit with my family, I took several jars and they were well received.  My nephew asked for a few jars for his birthday. 


 So first was to brine the cucumbers.  I found that the post thanksgiving day sales in the cooking section to be very helpful for this project, from the spice bags you'll see later to this brine bag, which has 12 cucumbers in it.

 Then cutting them up and putting them in jars with fresh dill and mustard seeds.  Figured a picture of me cutting wasn't needed.  I got one cuke per jar.

I thought this showed in the other picure but if not, here is my other project.  Homemade vanilla extract.  Remind me to relate the train that brought this one around. 


The spice bags I had previously mentioned.  The pickling mix has to be heated so needless to say, windows open! I did make two batches because I am trying to tame the sourness of the recipe but my nephew wanted some originals. 

 Filling the jars.

Then the water bath.  I've debated on getting a bigger pot so I can do more than 3 at a time but mostly decide it's not worth it for how often I would need it. 

 Some may not understand that little *pings* at this point are music to your ears, others are nodding their heads in agreement.


So in about another week, we will be able to pop the top on a jar and test to see if I was successful in taming the punch.  I did a little less pickling spice and swapped a third of the white vinegar for apple cider vinegar.  Won't know until you try right?

No comments: